Monday, March 4, 2013

Swim Little Fishies

Wow, it's been a while since I last wrote....here's my excuse -for the past two months, every Saturday, my family would pack a lunch, some towels and our swimsuits and head out to Bracebridge for swimming lessons.  This would take a big chunk out of our day because there is no pool in our town - don't get me started on why we don't have a pool- in my opinion every town should have a pool  - it would get used!  Anyway, this past Saturday was our last swimming lesson or I guess graduation day - both my girls graduated their level and honestly I am not surprised.  I seem to have given birth to two little fish!
I am a swimmer, always have been.  Growing up, every summer I would live in the water and last summer, I tried to swim every day with some ladies - I find my patience and calmness in the water.   After a good swim, I was good for the rest of the day.  So it makes me so happy to know that both my girls enjoy the water as much as I do - I really don't know what I would do if my daughter's didn't enjoy the water - it would seem so foreign to me, that's for sure.
So back to our swimming lessons, Leah lesson meant that I had to get into the water as well. I got to witness first hand how comfortable my 15 month old is in the water, especially lying on her back wearing a PFD and how much water she can splash.  Grace on the other hand was in lessons on her own and every so often I would glance over to see what she was up to.  I saw her swim through hoops, and swim laps (alright one lap) in the deep pool wearing a float belt.  But what impressed me the most was when I saw her jump off the diving board.  Not the super high board, but not the regular board either, so I guess the medium height diving board. Grace climbed up the ladder, walked to the end and took a big leap right into the water- no hesitation, no scream (not that I could hear) - just a clean jump.
Watching my girl's enjoy something and learn to do something that I love doing is surreal in a way - like watching myself (helps that my daughter's look like me).  It helps me to see how they are like me as well and that helps me to be a better parent to them.  Plus, in a few years I will have two other ladies to swim with summer mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment